Monday, March 8, 2010

Our Mouth and Our Heart – What a Pair!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hey Covenant Groupies,

Ok, so as you all know, we had our 1st Love Dare workshop this past Friday. I said I would report on the evening, but unfortunately, I can’t. We signed a confidentiality agreement and I can’t share anything Kevin and I discovered without infringing on everyone else’s privacy. And you know I won’t do that! Sorry guys.

So, onward we go. During my morning reading, prayer and study this morning, I was impressed by the Holy sprit to take a look at three very powerful scriptures. I know it had a great deal with the fact that Kevin and I didn’t have such a great start heading out to church yesterday. I said something in jest(I thought it was rather funny) and because he wasn’t in a good mood, he nearly bit my head off. He was snappy and his tone was very rude. Well, I “snyped” right back at him and almost instantly, despite what he said, I didn’t like what I said. It wasn’t profane but it was disrespectful and my tone was cutting.

The Bible says in Proverbs 18:21 “Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof” – KJV. At that very moment I had an opportunity to offer Kevin life but, instead, I chose death. At least that’s how I see it. He’s my husband; I shouldn’t have tried to hurt him. Unfortunately, that’s just what misguided feelings and emotions do. In Romans 6:13 it says, “Do not let any part of your body become a tool of wickedness to be used for sinning. Instead give yourselves completely to God since you have been given a new life. And use your whole body as a tool to do what is right for the glory of God.”

Several years ago a very dear friend and client, comedian John Gray, used to use this simple phrase, “pitch and tone, pitch and tone.” It was funny, but very serious at the same time. That is often how comedians relay their truth, right? In this case, it was and is God’s truth. We must be careful how we speak and respond to people in, both our personal and professional lives. It didn’t take long to see that John was actually helping to ignite an attitude of life in our hearts and ultimately our mouths. Yesterday, his phrase rang very loud in my head.

Because Jeremiah 17:9-10 says, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who knows it? I, the Lord, search the heart, I try (test) the reins (mind) even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings (deeds)."

With all this said, I guess what I’m getting to is this; yesterday, I was totally out of order, my heart was very available and open for sinning and my mouth brought it all home. As powerful a pair as these two are is as dangerous a pair as well. We haven’t discussed the “incident” yet, but we have some down time tonight and so we may. But, after being together so long, we do know when we have intentionally and unintentionally hurt one another, so sometimes all we have to do is look one another in the eyes, share a kiss, hold hands and continue our walk together; that’s how we found peace in our yesterday.

Stay tuned.

No comments: