Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Marriage Ref - A Big Joke - NOT FUNNY!!

Hey Covenant Groupies,

I did it ya'll. I watched the "Marriage Ref." I know, I know. What was I thinking right? When I was emailed the casting information last year, I had already resigned myself to not watch it. The synopsis was lackluster to me. Well, I broke down last week and watched it.

The first thing that bothered me was how in the introduction, the host makes the statement, "We're giving married couples what they've always wanted, A WINNER!" A What???? My thought was then, "If there's a winner, then obviously, then there would have to be a loser in the marriage, correct? Who wants to be looked at, feel like or believe that they are the loser in the marital relationship?"

The second issue was how these couples submit their delicate turmoils to this show and each week three celebrities, this evening they were, Tina Fey, Jerry Seinfeld (Executive Producer) and Eva Longoria Parker, decide who's point should win and who's should lose. Once these celebrities begin the decision making process, if they takes too long, the host, who also serves as the referee makes the final decision who the winner is while the other half of the married couple tries to figure out exactly why they're the winner.

People, this is not how God has ordained marriage to be. Romans 6:17-18 says, ...Now you are from sin, your old master and you have become slaves to your new master, righteousness."

For me, this show partly personifies whats wrong with marriage, both christian and non-Christian. 1) the issues are set aside and allowed to fester in a maranade of bitterness, anger, resentment, to name a few, 2)Someone's always fighting to be the winner whether intentionally or unintentionally, manipulation will prevail because people who want to be the winner will get there by any means necessary and 3) How sinful, that we, God's children have taken on this attitude His Covenant and exemplify this to the world - regularly!

I don't know about you, but although we have great fun in our marriage and find many opportunites to laugh at and with one another, our issues must be taken seriously and reconciled between God, us and outside help when and only if necessary.

No comments: