Thursday, January 7, 2010

Disappearing Acts - A Reflection of Our Love

Hey Covenant Groupies,

It took me a long time to post today. I usually post between 7pm and 9pm, but I got caught up watching "Disappaearing Acts." It's certainly not the best film in the world, but it's one of the first films Kevin and I were anxious to see that was relevant and reflective of black love. I remember us fighting traffic just to get home in enough time to see this film especially since we had both had enjoyed reading the book.

This is a beautiful 2 1/2 hour trip down memory lane. Boy, do I wish Kevin was home right now, we have pineapple chunks in the fridge LOL! I can actually remember what we ate 10 years ago as we basked in Franklin and Zora's disjointed relationship.

Franklin's a highly insecure man from a ghetto fabulous family now residing in the burbs. He wants so much to be loved and be his own man - but, like most men, he has no clue how to do that. He aspires to work with his hands so he solely relies on his love of being a construction worker in Brooklyn. Inevitably, despite help offered by his and Zora's father, he ends up lying around all day on the couch refusing to look for work because it's too cold outside and drinking.

Conversely, Zora's working tirelessly as a teacher to pay the bills, pay the rent, take care of them and the new baby, while her passion is to be a singer.

I absolutely love watchng how they let the pains, struggles and disappointemnts of life and their relationship to forced them both, to apsire to be better people.

If you get a chance watch it and let me know your thoughts.

No comments: