Saturday, October 10, 2009

Good Intentions: Not Always Enough

Hey Covenant Groupies,

Sad day today! Kevin and had a disagreement in the midst of a good day. Don’t you just dislike those? Although all dsagreements become great lessons, nevertheless, they do dampen what has strated u as a great day.

We went in the store for one thing but Kevin immediately became distracted by something else. Because we specifically knew what we were in there for I didn’t follow him to his distraction. He proceeded to ask me to come back, but I said, “That’s not what we’re in here for.” His response was, “But you know I need this.” I said, “You don’t need that, you want that.” It was ON after that! Groupies, we were arguing over a paper shredder. We have done so for about 4 years now. In which time, Kevin has purchased 3 shredders; all have burned out in very short periods of time. In my mind, each purchase has amounted to wasted money, my beloved does not agree.

You see, Kevin has an insurmountable amount of mail that has piled up. I have always believed that if you handled the mail as soon as it came in there would be no pile-up; again, my beloved does not agree. He believes that as long as he has a shredder, only then can he dispose of the mail. UGGGGGHHH!

My intention was to simply keep us on track in the store, not to hurt Kevin, but my intentions weren’t enough and I did hurt him. Later we did discuss how he perceived what he thought I meant; which after he explained it, could most definitely be hurtful. I asked him to only hear what I said, not what he thought I meant and I further explained how I really needed his help with keeping a handle on the mail pile-up.

After which, we had a great lunch.

However, as I went over the disagreement in my head, I couldn’t help but recall the book of James chapter 4:1-2 – “1What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? 2You want something but don't get it…”

Conclusion: Kevin wanted a shredder and I wanted a smaller mail pile. We must help each other in these areas.

No comments: