Saturday, April 24, 2010

Truth: Out of The Mouth of Babes

Hey Covenant Groupies,

I know I've been away for a couple of days. I have an event next week and it's kept me so busy. I don't like missing my times of blogging this is my precious time to share the amazing things God is doing in our life and marriage.

Anyhoo, I want to share something interesting with you.

Recently, my 6 year old niece saw what we see each and everyday; a teenager that has simply refused to pull their jeans all the way up. Immune and highly disturbed by this fashion trend, I said nothing. But she leaned over to me and said, "Auntie, do we like people who don't pull their pants all the way up?" I loved how she phrased, DO WE LIKE; meaning you, uncle, mommy, daddy, Grandma, my teachers and all of the other influential people in my life. That says alot about where children take their lead in life from.

Immediately, I said "Yes, we are kind to everyone, but it would be nice not to see peoples underwear." She concluded, "Oh, ok, then I like him, but can I tell him to pull his pants up."
It was cute banter between an Auntie and her niece, but think just how often conversations like that can go waaaaay wrong; influencing a child to think wrongly and negatively about another human being with prejudice or discrimation.

Kevin and I have committed to be very positive influences in the lives of, not only our nephews and nieces, but any child that comes into our presence. They truly do not do what you say all the time or willingly, but you can believe that they will do what we say.

Conclusion to story: the teenager came over to me and shared that he was trying to play with my niece and she refused. He asked her, "Are you afraid of me?" My niece responded, "No. I just don't think it's nice that you don't pull your pants all the way up. It's not nice" She then walked away from him.

She convicted him far more than I or any other adult could have.

Out of the mouth of babes!!!!

No comments: