Thursday, April 15, 2010

Marital Facts: Realistic or Not?

Hey Covenant Groupies,

I love it when I find these pseudo-facts and what they truly mean. Seriously, if you married your spouse and they had all of the characteristics you have on your list, then what's up with the HUGE divorce statistics?

Maybe instead of just looking for those top five characteristics, you may want to perform a criminal background check, solidify interests and values, past relationships, whether or not they have addictive personalities, can hold a job or have been abused/abusive in past relationships. Maybe then you'll have someone to build a Holy and wonderful life with.

Furthermore, double check your list. Be sure that everything on that list is realistic by God's standards and not your own. The list I had was severely altered and when God revealed my husband to me, I must admit, my first reaction was, "That's not what I wanted." God quickly reminded me that He had chosen my husband for me when I was in my mothers womb, how dare I deny God's choice or Kevin?


Marriage and Divorce

Top Characteristics People Want in a Partner

1. Honesty
2. Kindness
3. Respect
4. Compatibility
5. Humour

Top Reasons Why People Marry

1. Marriage signifies commitment
2. Moral values
3. Children should have married parents
4. The natural thing to do
5. Financial security

Top Reasons Why Couples Divorce

1. Different values and interests
2. Physical and emotional abuse
3. Alcohol and drugs
4. Infidelity
5. Career-related conflict

No comments: