Wednesday, November 4, 2009

QUESTION OF THE DAY! - Selflessness - What Does it Cost You?

Hey Covenant Groupies,

Kevin and I just returned from screening the new film "2012." Aside from the fact that it was soooooo long, it initially wasn't something I was excited to see, but duty called and we answered.

With the premise being that the world, as we know it, was coming to an end, people had to make some really difficult decisions. As well, when the proverbial, rubber hit the road, you get front row seats to the true character of people.

Civilization was ending and the complexities of humanity had hit an all time high. You saw sheer terror, cruelty, greed, selfishness, unconditional love, undying sacrifice, fear, anger just to name a few.

On the ride home, Kevin and were discussing what we thought our reactions would be and how we'd make no moves without one another if we were in the same situation. He was first to share how he'd be far more concerned with my safety, and if we had children, their safety over his very own. There was no hesitation in his offering. He almost sounded completely satisfied to feel that way and then say it. I was convinced that this was a moment of freedom to him, as if that's what he lives for; to save me and those he loves - freely - asking nothing in return.

As he shared, the word selflessness came to mind and it became such a beautiful display of truth, courage, bravery and love from him to me. I didn't get my chance to share, how could I, I am still in that moment; captivated by his character.

When was the last time you demonstrated selflessness to your spouse and what did it cost you?

No comments: