Monday, July 20, 2009

Intense Fellowship: Fighting a Good Fight

Ok Covenant Groupies,

Friday was a crazy day. I had no computer service at all!!! Work was halted and blogging was out of the question. The umbilical cord was cut. Saturday further solidified that the crazy was still looming. Kevin and I had a FREE Saturday; which is rare. So, I planned a day out; lunch, great conversation, hugs, hand holding and Central Park. On the train ride we began talking about a variety of things– work, church, marriage, new projects etc. I asked him one question about the Bible (“Can we have more quality time in the Word, many things seemed to have distracted us?”) he said “yes” and then some intense fellowship “comments” began to pop up; things like, “I never do that”, “You don’t share your God-time”, “Why is this conversation always so tough for us to have?”

For a while I’ve felt that I needed more accountability and more support from Kevin by way of at home Bible Study, prayer and his help with scripture interpretation, so this was important to me.

Every day, all over the world, couples are fighting over a variety of things, ranging from money, infidelity, lying, kids, bills to in-laws, and in the middle of Manhattan, Kevin and I were fighting over the Bible. Our Spirits were being tested and our flesh was being tempted. I must be honest, right there on that Manhattan corner, the flesh was winning out.

Several years ago I remember hearing a pastor say that conflict is a very powerful path to great intimacy!!!!!!! Standing in the street trying to be discreet with my husband, I keep trying to look forward to the intimacy this intense fellowship would lead to. I needed him to know that I needed something that only he could give me and he was intent on fighting me and vice versa. Why? Because as James 4:1-2 says, “What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God.”

That was so true. I needed something and I didn’t ask God to fulfill my need I went directly to Kevin; and it backfired. Our intention was not to hurt one another, but since this is a tender subject, we overreacted.

Sunday morning Kevin cracked a joke as we left for church and we had a great day. Today, two days later, after everything cooled down, we shared apologies, an understanding of needs and prayers of repentance.

You can’t get any more intimate then prayer, repentance and forgiveness.

How was your weekend?

No comments: