Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Solomon's Passionate and Consuming Love for God and His Woman

Well Covenant Groupies,

When it comes right down to it people, nothing can ever properly prepare you to read and absorb Song of Solomon. Recently, Kevin and I spent time with friends discussing some Marriage Matters: romance, conflict resolution, little foxes and eternal flames as it appears in this beautiful song. It was such an amazing experience to hear God speak about His aggressive and intentional love for His people, Christ and His Bride and the virtuous love between man and woman.

As I studied for our gathering, I was exhilarated by the passionate and consuming love these two had for one another. After studying, Kevin said to me, and I quote, “a brother gotta’ step up his game.” In no uncertain terms, that’s what this book unveils to you.

I think far too many people take this book lightly. It has the power to transform a couple. However, I believe literally what my pastor shared this past Sunday, and that is: you cannot go before God, for any reason, if you’re resistant to being changed - really changed. In other words, you can’t approach this book, or any book in the Bible for that matter frivolously. There’s got to be a desire for betterment; God’s betterment, no matter how much it hurts or requires of you.

Does your love of God, your spouse and your marriage mean more to you than your comfort?

When we worked on The Bible Experience, Denzel and Pauletta Washington read the entire book of Song of Solomon to one another. It was actually super sexy. If I can get my hands on the footage, I'll add it later. In the meantime, I've included an interview where they spoke about their experience reading this book.

Let me know your thoughts


No comments: