Monday, June 1, 2009

How do we stop emasculating our husbands?

Hey Covenant Groupies,

WOW, it's been the entire month of May and I haven't blogged. Yikes! I thought I had this thing down much better than to let an entire month slip away.

When I think of how much time the media has put into inviting us into the rumor mill that has become the Jon and Kate Gosselin infidelity saga, I find myself quickly drifting off. Not because I don’t care, but I just don’t care when it’s on. However when I recall the few times I did watch the show when it first aired I would cringe at how Kate would speak to Jon. He never responded until and unless it got really bad, then it was very ugly.

Don’t get me wrong I do understand that we all have our moments and sometimes speak in truly harsh, unconsciously brutal and blatantly rude ways to one another. But when do we stop and remember that the world does not revolve around us and we must make a serious effort to think of others before we speak, especially women? We are cruel with ours.

As an ex offender, nothing turns my stomach like a woman emasculating her man, especially in public, with her words. With me, it wasn’t intentional, I just knew nothing else. I was raised that way. If Kevin had remained quiet, I’d still be active in my disrespect.

I speak with such contempt because I have somewhat of an idea what a man feels when this type of cruelty is thrown their way. Kevin was very clear and detailed about the pain I caused, the distance it created and the anger that festered because he had no where to take his anger without becoming violent. Believe me, no one could have ever told me that I had the capabilities to hurt someone I loved so much with my words, which was actually laced with my own secret hurt.


Well, that’s the focus of our question of the day. How long should a husband allow his wife to speak to him in a disrespectful way? Should he confront it early, each time it happens, wait for the right moment or just take it- like many men do - and live with the anger and resentment?

If you’re a women who’s done/doing this, why? Have you ever confronted a friend or family about similar behavior?

Share tips and tools that have helped you with those still struggling with this

Let’s discuss.

No comments: